Friday, September 19, 2008

God is Bigger

Author's note: This, too, was written in either '03 or '04, but was never published. I don't know if anyone will find this useful or not, but just in case...


"What's the matter, Mommy?" my little boy asked me one day when he noticed that I was distracted, not looking very happy, and was repeatedly sighing, rubbing my forehead to relieve the tension headache I was getting.
"Oh, nothing you need to worry about. Mommy's just trying to figure some things out."
"What's worry?" he asked.
I thought for a moment, trying to choose words that he would understand, and said, "Well, it's sort of like being afraid. Not because of something really scarey, but because you don't know what's going to happen or how."
Thinking of Matthew 6:25-34, I added, "God tells us not to worry, because it doesn't help. Instead, we need to trust Him that He'll take care of us because we're really important to Him, and to put our time and energy into something better, like serving Him and trying to be more like Him."
"Is that what you're doing, Mommy? Worrying?"
I laughed, because he was right. "Yes, I guess I am! It's hard to stop, though."
"Well, I know what you should do," he replied.
"What's that, Sweetie?" I asked my "wise-beyond-his-years" little philosopher.
"Well, when I'm scared, I do what you told me to do. I sing that 'God is Bigger' song, then I don't feel scared anymore. If worry is sort of like being scared, then maybe the song will make you feel better too!"
My son was referring to the Veggie Tales video Where Is God When I'm S-s-scared? and in it, there's a song that Bob and Larry teach Junior about God being bigger than any boogie man or monster, and that He's watching out for us. You know, it's been years since my little boy gave me that advice, but he was right. It still works today. God isn't just bigger than monsters and other frightening things. He's also bigger than any problem or stressful situation we could ever encounter. When I find myself starting to worry about things, getting stressed in a way that isn't helping the situation, I find myself humming that catchy little song, and then the problems don't seem so big anymore. Any song, poem, or verse that turns our minds toward God, and reminds us that God is bigger than all our problems combined, can be a great tool to pull out when we find ourselves worrying and stressing out about things that are beyond our control. These reminders put us back into the right frame of mind, and then we're ready to pray about our worries and stressors, hand God's work back to Him, and prepare ourselves to get busy with the things we can take care of. The Serenity Prayer; the hymn "What a Friend We Have in Jesus"; the verse Matt 6:33, "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well," any of these are possible substitutes for the Veggie Tales song. Whatever works for you. It's a simple way to reduce stress, so simple that a child saw the solution. In our overly complicated world, I think simple solutions are the best ones of all!

Father, I thank you that no problem is too big for You, and that You won't let any problem become bigger than I can bear. I thank you there is no need for me to fear or worry, for You are in control at all times, and will use everything to the good of those who love You. Help me to trust You, to remember to seek first Your kingdom, always, and to take great comfort from keeping my focus on You. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments: