Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Legislating Morality

For those who have eyes to see and ears to hear, read on. All others may want to leave the page now lest you be 'offended'... I have been given a message from our Lord that I'm urged to share and explain. May God give me the words I'm to say...

I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm- neither hot nor cold- I am about to spit you out of my mouth.--Revelation 3:15-16

I have a very heavy heart today, and am prone to tears, and I don't think I need to tell bible-believing evangelical Christians why that is. But I can't tell you how many Christians I've talked to recently who have argued that we cannot and should not "legislate morality", and it appears that like-minded Christians were numerous enough to side with liberal unbelievers yesterday to make an awful difference. They argue that legislating "their personal beliefs" would interfere in the "free will" of non-believers, and that they don't think God would do that either, forgetting He DID do that, a long time ago, with the nation of Israel (you can't tell me that all who lived within her borders were devout Jews, but they were called to obey the 10 Commandments anyway!) The argument is flawed. These people think they're promoting an agenda that will allow them to sit on the fence, choosing to do right themselves while giving others the freedom to make their own choices unencumbered. Not so. People have been doing that all along, and it hasn't been enough. It's not enough for these unbelievers to be able to do whatever they want... They want it to be labeled as "good" and "acceptable." No longer is it enough to "fix a mistake" or "keep what they do in the bedroom IN the bedroom." The legislation being pushed forward is in fact legislating immorality by making those "rights" that were never given in the Constitution legally protected, and our right to openly call it sin will be sure to get curtailed, thanks to all the "hate crimes" legislation that is also being pushed, not to mention the persistence of the "separation of church and state" misconception. People have been sinning since before the Bible was written, and they will go right on doing so whether it's legal or not. That's human nature, that's "free will", and we can't end that. Only Christ Himself can when He comes to end all sin. But does that mean we ought to legalize those sins? Does that not make us stumbling blocks to those who don't know another way to live? People who protect alcoholics and drug addicts from the consequences of their sin and allow them to go right on sinning in comfort are called 'enablers'. Enablers make it easy for the alcoholics and drug users to remain addicted, for the addicts have little reason to stop. What makes anyone think it's any different for sexual sin? By legalizing sexual sin, we become enablers of it! And we're teaching such attitudes to a younger generation (those that aren't being killed, anyway...What about their Constitutionally given right to life?!), and soon we may have no legal rights to do otherwise! "Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to sin are bound to come, but woe to that person through whom they come. It would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around his neck than for him to cause one of these little ones to sin. So watch yourselves." Luke 17:1-3a

I find it interesting what my NIV Life Application Study Bible's study notes has to say about Rev 3:15... "Lukewarm water makes a disgusting drink. The church in Laodicea had become lukewarm and thus distasteful and repugnant. The believers didn't take a stand for anything; indifference had led to idleness. By neglecting to do anything for Christ, the church had become hardened and self-satisfied, and it was destroying itself. There is nothing more disgusting than a halfhearted, in-name-only Christian who is self-sufficient. Don't settle for following God halfway. Let Christ fire up your faith and get you into the action." Sound familiar? There's nothing new under the sun. All that is here has been here for centuries, and none of the "changes" being proposed are new. There's not going to be any fence-sitting in the end times. We have to choose either for God or for ourselves. As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. (Joshua 24:15b)

Regardless of what you did yesterday, today is a new day, and all of we Christians have work to do on our knees. We lost a battle, but we have not lost the war. We already know who wins that in the end. But in the meantime, we have some praying to do and more battles to fight. If you have not yet read http://focusfamaction.edgeboss.net/download/focusfamaction/pdfs/10-22-08_2012letter.pdf, please do so now. It is not a true letter, and doesn't claim to be, but rather is a possibility projected from current trends and promises following natural consequences. It's not as far-fetched as most of us would like to believe. We need to take action to prevent as many of the scenarios in this letter as we can. We need to repent on behalf of our nation and try to turn it from evil...A revival! We need to be prepared to welcome repentant people with open arms and help clear the rubble of a battle lost. And- this wise suggestion came from my 11 yr old son early this morning and then I heard it repeated elsewhere- we need to pray for wisdom for our new and continuing leaders... Many of them claim to be Christians. Pray they actually are, and that God opens their eyes and sets their hearts on fire for Him before they take actions that would be difficult or impossible to reverse. I hope none of the scenarios described in the letter come to pass, but I'm not willing to take a chance they will if there's anything that can be done to stop them. There are souls out there in the balance!

Father, we come before You, humbled and battle-weary. Some of us prayed and fasted and stood strong for biblical standards yesterday, but it wasn't enough. Some of us made the wrong choices, thinking we were doing "good" when in fact we were doing what seems wise in the eyes of man, but leads to death. Open the eyes of all our hearts, Lord, that we might see You and know the Truth. Forgive us our sins. Have mercy on those who know not what they do. Help us turn away from sin and back to You and Your ways. Stir a revival in Your church, Lord, that we might grow stronger from this and become a tool for You to reach out to the lost souls. Use this, as everything else, to the good of those who love You. We have chosen new leaders, and while those leaders are standing for unwise things, many claim they are Christians. Stir the consciences of those who truly are, prick their souls with guilt, that they may repent. Send someone to each of the ones who only think they are Christians, and show them what it means to be one in more than name only. Grant our new and continuing leaders with wisdom, so that they may see the errors of their ways and understand the consequences of the actions they plan to take. Have mercy on America. Please. In Jesus' name I pray. Amen.

10 comments:

krimbrulee said...

Well said my sista! Today I am worn out. I feel sad for the loss we have suffered and sad that unless our country repents we are headed for destruction but hopeful that this passion we have will be turned from loss to a furvency to pray like we never have. It is time for revival!!!! God send revival to change the hearts of men that have turned from you. It has caused me to focus on the fact that we are aliens, stangers to this land and to look forward to the return of our Lord!!!

a portland granny said...

Tonya, that was an excellent post. I think we should be against the current moral trends in our country, but I do have a hard time with Christians preaching against "some" sins and not others. If homosexuality is worth fighting against, why don't we say anything about sex outside of marriage--or "shacking" up, or lying, or lacking trust in God to provide our needs, --the list could go on and on. I happen to believe Scripture teaches that sin is sin...and it all weighs the same. So I am often confused as to why we "play" the Holy Spirit on an unregenerate world. I guess those are my questions. Don't get me wrong, I am totally against abortion and "marriage" between same sex people--but my question is why do we zero in on those two things when there are so many other sins we could fuss about to the unsaved world??

Tonja H. said...

Portland Granny, you're right that all is sin, and that we should be speaking out against all of it. Another one that rarely gets mentioned these days is gluttony. Our church just called out on this one and it was very convicting. Plenty of over-sized waists in our congregation (Baptists are practically known for that! Shame on us!) As for why those two in particular, they're the ones that are big issues in legislation these days. So far the government hasn't been pushing gluttony or unmarried sex on us. Yet. But they have already pushed abortion on us, and are threatening us with homosexuality, too. And those were two key issues in this Presidential election. Another sin they push on us that we should also be speaking out on is gambling... How many states had that on the ballot yesterday? I know ours did (unfortunately it passed), and so did Ohio (who I believed successfully refused it.) I think Arkansas did too, right? How many others? A crying shame, preying on the weaknesses of the poor who dream of getting rich quick, and thus end up even more poor!
Hugs,
Tonja

Renee said...

I respect your words, Tonja even though I may not agree with all of them.
I don't believe I can be the judge on whether someone is a "real" Christian or not. I would need to ask, "real" by whose standard? And the reply might be, the Bible's standard...and I would then ask, whose interpretation the the Bible. I do not believe in abortion nor gay marriages, I am a Christian and I pray for God's will in our country. I also trust God to guide our country and I believe we need to be a united country. We stand under the American flag. I am glad the election is over and negativity can now be put to rest. I will stand behind who our country voted for with prayer and acceptance and hope because as an American and as a Christian that is where I come from. I will say I was very saddened to see the people at John McCain's gathering last night waving RED flags ....instead of the American flag. THis gave me chills ~ it was like the Russian or Chinese flag being waved at a political gathering in our country. That can only divide our country and are we not broken enough?
You know I respect you, Tonja and with all I know about you and the prayer and faith you bring into your daily living, I commend you and believe you are doing what is right for you.
I hope you will accept my words with the same respect and grace that I am respecting yours.
Renee

Tonja H. said...

Hi Renee,
That was a good question about what I meant by "real" Christian... I didn't mean by my standards, and yes I meant by the Bible's, but not as interpreted by me. It isn't for me to judge who is a Christian and who isn't. Only God knows that. Only He knows who actually accepted Christ's gift of salvation and who is a victim of thinking a Christian is one who goes to church on Sundays and does good things to get into heaven on their own merit. I grew up with that heritage and didn't find out the error until I started reading the Bible for myself in my 30s. So many who say they are Christians are still laboring under that vain hope of earning their way. That's what I meant. And that's why I prayed that God would reveal truth to them just as He did to me.

Tonja

Anonymous said...

I think your comments were right on target... I cried real tears last night over the election, but remember this is our Fathers world and he sets the rulers on their thrones. Although I don't feel the American people voted morally yesterday and I fear that God is using our new political leaders as a discipline for our lack of faithfulness and morality. I am fearful of that, to the extent that just like when God allowed other nations to drag Israel in to captivity...time after time. We may be in for a tough road, that is true, but it is still our Lords world and those who are faithful will have a reward none the less.... I still look for the second coming just like the first century Christians... and we can't loose hope. He is faithful!

Anonymous said...

My dear Tonya
Thank you for the message and for the wake up call. It is time to wake up. Let us not be like the foolish virgins(Mt.25:1-13) Like it is said in Romans 2:32:"Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them." We have been too linient about ALL moral issues. It is time to take a stand for Christ, and live for Him and not the world. I think the Word of God is clear on letting us know what is right and what is wrong and those who say that it depends on who interprets the Bible have been deceived. God has given us the Truth and that is our Lord Jesus Christ, let us OBEY & SUBMIT to HIM.

Tonja H. said...

Well said, Tanya! Don't thank me, though, for all I did was obey, and it was difficult to do so, because I don't like conflict and definitely don't like being in the middle of it. I felt quite panicky while posting that, fearing the loss of conditional love from unsaved relatives and friends. I've gotten some of that, but it matters not, for I have the unconditional love of God and His church. The message came from the Lord while was praying, and listening, and I was as surprised by the verse given me and the urge to deliver it as apparently some of my readers were. More on that later.

abryant said...

AMEN!! I'm Praying too and posted a prayer on my blog. http://teammichaelbryant.blogspot.com

a portland granny said...

Tanya, check my post tomorrow as I tagged you on it. I think it would be interesting to hear from you ...however if you want to ignore it, please do, as I am not comfortable with these things either....and since your blog is pretty serious, you could share very serious things about yourself.

Take care. I continue to fight my negative thoughts of the new regime and ask daily for a prayerful heart about all of this that is happening in our wonderful country.